Total Goal

Thursday, March 15, 2007

they don't make them like this...

I was channel surfing this morning, but not really paying any attention, when a song caught my attention. It was the beginning credits of a movie I had forgot existed. Yup that right Annie! I loved this movie when I was little, I wore out at least 5 copies! Thank Goodness I caught it at the very beginning.
As I watched my mind filled with memories of watching this with my mom cross stitching in her chair when I was sick. I remember grabbing anything I could get my hands on to use as a microphone and sing along.
As a child it had flashy images, a story line that was easy to understand, and oh the music! Now as an adult I can appreciate the story line about the depression, the story is so much more then a red haired orphan who finds a home. I can also marvel at the talent! Annie who taps her way into Daddy Warbuck's heart. All the orphans who have the most beautiful singing voices.
As I watched I realized they don't make them like this anymore. The happy stories, the musicals, the dancing! The innocent story line, the bad villains to todays standards aren't really that bad at all. They where petty criminals, thieves, and con artists-instead of murders, aliens and natural disasters. The worst sware word you hear is "do you want a knuckle sandwich?" or "leapin lizards!" In order to get the Annie experience you have to go see a live show. To see true triple threat talent, the singers, actors and dancers. I truly miss those days of movies about talking animals, kids adventures and cats from outer space.
As I danced around with my baby in my arms to "We've got Annie" playing now rather loudly from my TV, I realized I want to find these movies to pass on to him. They can not be replaced The memories of curling up on the couch with a blanket and my family on a cold winter night are some of the fondest I have. I remember the happy days when my dad took me to the movie theater 3 times to see Cinderella, because GusGus and Lucifer the cat made him laugh! (BTW-I really didn't want to go by the third time and I remember telling him that.-lol) I will find them all. Rudolf the claymation cartoon, with the elf who wants to be a dentist and the island of unwanted toys. The cat from outer space movie, Shaggy the dog (the original-not the modern rip off), and Bed Knobs and Broomsticks, just to name a few.
And of course Annie-one of my top 3 favorites.

1 comment:

Annieann77 said...

I remember doing the Annie song in the lip sync competition and winning! ;)

The only other show I know that you listed is the Rudolf claymation one .... I don't remember any of the other ones? It's funny that you did this post about old shows you used to watch, I just finished my 10 things for next week and it is on 10 tv shows I used to watch! You should do one too! LOL