Total Goal

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Baby Eats?


Okay I know its suposed to be Travel Tuesday but I got something else on my mind to write about, so I'll try to do Travel Tuesday on Wednesday instead.
My big concern of the day is about Evan and food. Huh, basicly what this blog is all about, but its Evan's eating that has me confused.
Okay, so he's been on baby food since 6 months, we've moved on to the stage 3 food at 8 months like they say. Now I'm trying to do the finger food thing. You know Cheerios, bananas and other soft things. But I'm so worried he's going to chock, that I've shied away from most foods. I've read my books, I've looked things up on the net, who or what do I believe. As a first time mom I'm finding this stuff so hard! When do I take him off a bottle and push the sippy cup, how much milk or formula does he have to consume in a day to stay healthy? None of the books mention giving him meat as a finger food so how will my little guy get the protein he needs? Do I continue with the baby food till he's a year then give him finger foods or a combo of both? Will he be eating to much? Will I have a tubby toddler? Do I replace a formula feeding with a meal and cut back on how much he has? WTH!!!!! No source tells me a clear cut plan! Amounts! Schedules I can change to suit my needs!!! Even the health web site contradicts itself! I just need a clear cut answer to my questions! This sucks!
There my rant is done, but my problem remains unsolved. Oh well I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and do what my brain is telling me to do. Swallow my fear, give him the finger food and sit there to watch him. Not that I don't watch him, it's just so hard to not be involved in the eating process like before, its down right stressful! He has a habit of stuffing to much food in his mouth at once to the point he gags himself (little piggy).. Do I give him one piece of something at a time? I guess if that's what it takes, at least I'll be more involved. I think I'm just going to have to follow my gut and his lead. If anyone knows the answer to my questions pls, pls, pls leave a comment.

3 comments:

Annieann77 said...

WOW - So many questions!! LOL

Well as you know I don't have kids ... yet ;) and I am by far NO expert but I think you are on the right track.

Personally I would get a really good blender and I would be blending my own food (meat, veggie and potato with gravy) I would still buy canned fruits though (cause it's hard to blend those seeds?)

I think I would give him the blended meal as supper and as for breaky the Cheerios sounds good - let him eat his own and have a bottle of milk. Lunch I would still do what you did before (canned food ?) But supper I would start introducing the home cooked blended food?

I'm sure if he is still hungry from the food you give him he will definately let you know. But as for the over eatting ?? I'm not sure - I don't think babies really know that "full" feeling? I guess start with a little and if he's still cranky then feed a little more till he seems good !?

Sorry I can't help you more, :( hopefully someday we can compare more baby stories!

Keep up the good work and I wouldn't read every book out there You'll just confuse yourself more ! ? LOL Good luck!

Jake Silver said...

I have the same thoughts when it comes to my son, who is now 14 months. Incidentally, I have two Blogs... and the one called "Bring It" is about a 90-day "get healthy" type challenge. Perhaps you'd be interested in joining in?

Jordanna said...

Denise,

I say give it a try with the finger food, and if you see any signs of choking then hold off on it for a couple weeks...

I used to babysit a little girl and she choked on her food quite often - but the mum always said that's how they learn?? I don't know if that's right or not but you have to start somewhere?